Home page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
[View without Frames]
About this page (#about)
Firefox users: See an Outline based on HTML Header Statements: Generate the Table of Contents (Alt+O) for this page and other webpages by installing the Document Map extension, then from the View menu, click on
sidebar and then Document Map.
Flame Wars (#flame)
Thank goodness we don't have this stuff in the Excel groups.
Sounds in Excel (#sounds_xl)
Ever wonder what all of the sound (.WAV) files would sound like.
Place the beeps code file into a normal code module -- i.e. beeps_module.
- Prepare your data by creating an
input file using your DOS session: in WinNT use /n in Win98 use /b
Dir c:\*.wav /s /n > c:\temp\t.txt
Dir h:\*.wav /s /n >> c:\temp\t.txt
- From an Empty sheet with cell A1 selected run macro MakeWavFile
- Select column C then use Data, text to columns with fixed format
- Select cell A1 run macro PlayWhileActive
- Individual wave files can be played with PlayOne, or install the
Event macro portion on the sheet so you can use DoubleClick to invoke PlayOne.
More Sounds and Other Things (#sounds)
- Bugs Bunny, Sound Effects from Warner Brothers
- The California Experience,
and Spread Sheet Humor, John Walkenbach
- Complaint Generator, Scott Pakin [broken link fixed again 2001-12-30, again 2005-03-17 this time he has his own site]
- Moving Windows
or if not found try shakeitbabe or
- Perpetual Bubblewrap, Andy Foulds. And an "improved" version from someone else Bubblewrap.swf (shockwave) this site actually looks like the original and the improvement --
(your security settings may not allow Shockwave). Soap bubbles (recipes/generation): Supersize/strong,
Fun, Bubble Thing! (tubes), large, [more] Still looking for huge
bubble machine using hula hoop and half truck or tractor tire, but the wading
pool probably works just as well.
- Sexy Susie (song)
- WD-1 DJ-TRAINER, 70's DJ
and Eve Astrid Anderson's home page
Playthings from ingredients (#playthings)
- Hints and Crafts,
Bubbles, "Slime", Face Paint under Crafts portion, using kitchen or bath ingredients,
and glycerin. Article begins with organizing kitchen, measurement, food recipes,
and ends up with craft type things.
Downloads, similar to More Sounds and Other Things
Flash Sites (#flash)
Shockwave (.swf) Sites
Shockwave (.swf) pilot or interactive
Movies (.MOV) (#movies)
You can Right click on the actual links within HTML to save the
movie. From IE use "Save Target As" and from Firefox you would
use "Save Link As" (see Terminology Switching from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox, also see Firefox Customizations on this site).
Things to look at on high speed access only
More serious things, like managing sound files
Graphics or Artwork (#artwork)
Strictly Video, Graphics Things
- Ball Droppings, draw lines for balls to bounce off of [1 mb download] /\
- Mandala, use cursor for patterns on an orb; jigsaw puzzles
- Fractals --
Freeware fractalgenerator Fractalus homepage [4.03]
- Fractal World Gallery Thumbnails : cosmic recursive fractal flames or flame fractals
- The J-Walk Blog: Mandelbrot Dead (watch the movie)
"The fractal guy": Benoit Mandelbrot [SciAm][NScist], Mathematician, Dies at 85.
- Falling Sand Game, hosted by Chirag Mehta
- Snowflakes --
Fractal Snowflake Generator v1.2 [478k] W9x/2k/XP FREE
- SnowDays, "It's always snowing somewhere", interesting, you design a snowflake by cutting folded paper, or catch someone else's snowflake. Quite slow getting started or pulling up a reference snowflake.
If you make a snowflake or see one you like you can reference it by it six digit
- Paper Toys - Paper Cut-Outs - Custom Paper Models at PaperToys.com, paper toys, models, cut-outs, trains, airplanes, paper party gifts, party hats, paper cars, paper motorcycles, cards.
- tile machine 1.0, generate tile patterns for repetitive tils, can be made into your screen saver (as tiled).
- YouTube - Interactive art with wooden mirrors (YouTube 2:19), 835 computer motorized tiles
Games Computers Play (#q20)
Games You Can Play (#games)
Duct Tape (#ducttape)
Shipping Cartons (#cartons)
Google Humor (#google) also see translations
Google-like, or uses Google, but not at Google (#gxxgle)
- Google Fight, pick two
words or two phrases to see which show up the most in a Google Search.
i.e. Bush vs Gore, Attorney General* vs Microsoft
- Google Whack, pick two single words
that result in a single hit at Google.
Hall of Shame (#shame)
HTML 404 errors (#err404)
Some people have some rather creative 404 errors, some of the best have
been from Japanese competitions. This link,
or it's alternate, combines the history,
the best, worst, of whatever is funny. Maybe in the future this will
prove a slight exaggeration but I think they'll be at the top for some time.
Another one is http://www.404-error-page.com, and meryl's notes: 404 Collection Archives, the site is still valid but
this particular link is not.
Jumba Lotta (#jumbled)
Legos converted to adult toys (#legos)
Matters of Choice (#choice)
Meaning of Life (#meaning)
Microsoft humor (#micorosoft)
Misguided Things, Things to the Extreme, Computer Humor (#misguided)
- Burning CDs by Microwave (12/27/98)
by Tom Atwell, plus a more or less serious Three Frame animated picture
- Darwin Awards,
- Download: Customer: "I want to download the Internet. Do I need a bigger hard disk?"
To download the Internet CLICK HERE. [FYI -- w3schools is free, information and tools for building a web.]
- Shutdown the Internet, Turn the Internet on or off at the press of a button.
- Personal Computer Security, What You'll Need:
Large Container, Shovel, Large Screw Driver, Water Supply, Concrete Mix, Minimal Amount of Wood [same content as original link]
- Insanity Test [race car & sound effects] (mostly broken, relied on some links now missing)
- Extreme bicycling videos,
NYC and other places.
- Extreme Martial Arts [LG]
- Rules of Acquisition (Wikipedia), guidelines intended to ensure the profitability of businesses owned by the ultra-capitalist Ferengi (Star-Trek).
- Amazing video of a man with his horses
Computer Humor (#computer)
More Funny Stuff (#more)
Not for the Gullible, Funny Things (#spoofs)
Occupational Hazards, etc. (#occupational)
Optical Illusions (#optical)
keywords: optical-illusions line curve circle vanish hidden Spinning-Silhouette
Origami and Paper Art (#origami)
Parody, Parodies (#parody)
- Firedfox - The Browsed. (probably lost forevery), parody on Firefox. [help setting up the real Firefox]
- NonprofitableTech Parody on Large Venture Capital and Software Company
- Microsith.com -- one popup you want to see
- Microsoft's New Brain Project,
Seattle Weekly, April 1, 1999
- Microsoft Linux - the premier linux distro
- M12:03 PM 2007-09-15ouse Trap,
the mouse, the chicken, the pig, the cow, the farmer's wife and the snake
Pictures / Photos (#pictures)
- Amazing Cat Collection,
jailbreak cats, sleeping cats, etc.
- ASCII Artwork create
from a .jpg or other picture file. (Y.K.Wong)
- Fireworks, WOW!!!, ow, ahhh!,
site is in Japanese, translation is not very good but can be seen
- First Computer Bug was a moth.
- Insane Signs
- License Plates of the World
- Photocube _____,
Get your own from original author (zip file).
- Picture Puzzle, move the pieces,
Spiele - Puzzle (Funsurfen - das Lifestyle-Magazin!)
- Worth1000.com | Photoshop Contests | Are you Worthy™ | galleries
Pictures: common, hidden and overlooked things (#overlooked)
Animated Gifs (#animated_gifs)
Animated How Tos (#animated_howtos)
Family Photos (#familyphotos)
Contrast a wonderful family that photographs themselves
every June 17th
for the last 27 years, with some parodies.
- My Family Photos
at the eBaum's World, jokes, illusions, and parodies.
- The Guitar God Home Page!!!
be sure to look at the ads they are also part of pages. Don't bother looking
at John Walkenbach's site now, you're either already into Excel and been there already,
or you couldn't care less about Excel.
Stereoscopic like (#stereoscopic)
Police blotters (#police)
- Printing Tools,
printing stationary, cards, business cards, banners, labels, calendars, signs, flyers,
awards, bumper stickers,
Education Quotes (#education)
Management Quotes (#management)
Random Advice, ... (#advice)
Rube Goldberg (#goldberg)
Machines, Art, Cartoons, Fantasy
- The serious searches are on my search.htm page the ones below are just for fun.
- Logos and Logo Histories,
use the search box. Background and info of goodlog.com
Probably not funny to everyone but I kind of think it is.
- make it not completely 'crash' my computer!!!
- stop developing it please, I just wanna find useful info, not your software, please let it away,thanks
- don't say that its faster when its not
- make the programs actually work maybe that would be a start
- Make it work on my computer
- Make it more fast,please!
- make it work all the time with every thing
- Make it work with more web pages
Spy vs. Spy (#spy)
Technology Made Easy (#techexplained)
Text to Speech (#speech)
I'm including this as Fun Stuff because these do not really seem quite
ready to replace human reading, or dictation (Goofs to grin at).
Looking over the HTML and the freeware sites (not the shareware) the speech
programs look the same, perhaps because they use Microsoft voices, also
use CFS technology for the speec settings. From what I listened to
on Sayz Me, and on Speakonia, seems that the Adult Male #3 is the easiest
for me to understand. #8 Adult Male sounds like Julia Childs (Female
voices #1 and #2) sound even worse.
It is now 2007 and Text to Speech has almost arrived.
Trivial, or Serious Informative (#triva)
Trivial or Serious Information, either way it's not humorous nor
is it the quick reference type information on my search.htm page. Enjoy Reading...
Urban Legends (#urban)
- kuro5hin.org || "Klingon Language Interpreter" Urban Legend
- Urban Legends Reference Pages, http://www.snopes.com/snopes.asp
- The AFU & Urban Legends Archive
- Darwin Awards - Urban Legends is
a category on the Darwin Awards site.
- Google Directory - Society > Folklore > Literature > Urban Legends
- Howstuffworks "How Urban Legends Work" -- actually part of How Stuff Works
- HOAXBUSTERS Home Page, Interspersed among the junk mail and spam that fills our Internet e-mail boxes are dire warnings about devastating new viruses, Trojans that eat the heart out of your system, and malicious software that can steal the computer right off your desk. Added to that are messages about free money, children in trouble, and other items designed to grab you and get you to forward the message to everyone you know. Most all of these messages are hoaxes
- purportal.com : Hoax, Fraud, Scam, Phishing and Misinformation resources, web portal includes link to scopes.com and others
Translations of a Website (#translations)
provides translation of your web page to such dialects as:
Redneck, Jive, Cockney, Elmer Fudd, Swedish Chef, Moron, Pig Latin, Hacker.
How it works.
- Redneck Translator input form for text.
Warning Web Bug detected by SpyBlocker, which is also reporting blocking Web Bug from Yahoo TV listings.
Recreation: Humor: Computer: Internet: Web Filters
- Google now comes in several additional languages:
Muppet's Swedish Chef version: http://www.google.com/intl/xx-bork/
Elmer Fudd version: http://www.google.com/intl/xx-elmer/
Hacker version: http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/
Pig Latin version: http://www.google.com/intl/xx-piglatin/
Even Klingon: http://www.google.com/intl/xx-klingon/
There are a whold buch of these at
Translations of Text
Visual Things in Excel (#visual_xl)
Word Games (#words)
- Anagramarama, Find as many words as possible in a period of time.
Yesterday's Stuff (#yesterday)
Probably a mistake mixing in YouTube on this page since YouTube
gets 10% of internet traffic.
- Dead links are going to appear from time to time, you could help me in this
regard if you can locate the new link by using
Google Advanced Search
or AltaVista - Advanced Web Search
using search information
that you can make up from the information such as the author's name and other
key information as might be found in the old link if there is an archived
copy at archive.org. Occasionally a site may be
temporarily down due to problems, or maintenance including
planned shutdown for facility improvements such as rewiring an entire
- Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles provide valuable auxiliary information to many
of my web pages, here are some Funny Microsoft Q Articles From The Knowledge Base.
This page was introduced on December 21, 2000.
[My Excel Pages -- home]
[INDEX to my site and the off-site pages I reference]
[Site Search -- Excel]
[Return to TOP]
Please send your comments concerning this web page to:
send email comments
Copyright © 1997 - 2009, F. David McRitchie, All Rights Reserved