http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.htm then to
and use the English (only choice) & Go button to begin the first phase of the download.
Took about one hour to reboot before download, download(55 minutes), reboot and complete install 56K modem, prediction for download time for 77,703KB was right on. (from IE5 to IE6)
Internet Explorer 6 SP1 as used on the above pages actually means full replacement for current and previous versions of Internet Explorer. (download and install time from IE6 to IE6 SP1 was xxxx minutes)
Automatic adjusting of pictures. Works nicely but I guess it's not a real advantage unless everybody has it.
Additional security features here, but need a lot more help than what I see in IE6 help for any real help.
The setting under Internet Options, Advanced, “Printing”. Make sure “Print Background colors and images” is selected if you want to have color for printing and for print preview. I have it turned off since I only print black.
- Ad-aware 6.0 « scans your memory, registry and hard drives for known adware components and lets you remove them safely. Combating Spyware, Snoopware, brower hijackings along with an anti-virus program you should be checking your system for Spyware. If you think your Outlook Express or your browser suddenly slowed down or that you have the slowest 600 MHZ computer around you probably have picked up some spyware that is spying on your system and reporting back somewhere. If you suddenly find something installed on your system that you did not want or ask for run Ad-Aware.
Ad-Aware 6.0 (announced Feb 7, 2003 after about 3 months of no updates)is rewritten and separates the engine from data and can automatically update itself. optionally check your favorites (bookmarks). Created a pay for version with additional features. Found 40 data mining cookies that were not found in 5.8.3.
Ad-Aware 5.7 found 28 components that were reported as SpyWare, I had Ad-Aware remove them after the detection phase. Before running I had been considering moving my INBOX entries in Outlook Express that were older than two weeks into an archive INBOX. But after running Ad-Aware I found that the speed of accessing the INBOX with 1442 emails was instant. [Notes]
- pageQ Editor, allows you to build and send a playlist of commonly visited web sites or web pages (slide show). LG]
- Pop-Up Stopper « FREE Version, eliminates annoying pop-up advertisements you can see a log of what was blocked. [I use this]
- Spy Sweeper v1.2 «, Freeserve 5 Star Pick
- SpyBblocker Software (formerly free?), blocks SpyWare, Bugs, Cookies, banner ads. New site is not free http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/mia/k/r/kryp/ lists as $19.95. so won't be installed/reinsalled.
There was a free version or it used to be free. I notice it is not installed on my current system and had been wondering why the hosts file was same as comes with system, obviously because it was this package. http://spyblocker-software.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d6e9968d4beffff;act=ST;f=9;t=6
Comments for SpyBlocker: In order to block sites that have pop-up advertising known sites that have pop-ups are added to hosts file (no file extension), which is a text file. You may have to modify your hosts file for access to such notable sites as Microsoft and ZDNET, no need to remove anything that is obviously ad and banner oriented. So take a note of any mention of hosts file you see when installing, the notes will actually tell you which lines you will probably want to remove.
- ZoneAlarm, (Zone Labs being purchased by Checkpoint software).
- find Unsolicited Commercial Software (doxdesk.com/parasite), runs a scripted scan for spyware (instant results). Provides information on and for removal of specicify spyware parasites. [Ref]
- Watch out for Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites. There are a number of programs that purport to be anti-spyware are actually spyware. Be very careful.
Your AntiVirus program, if you have one, is only as good as it's latest update. I have included some anti-virus notes in the related area of my Outlook Express page (oe6.htm) so that you can find information quickly from a valid site. I use AVG, which is free (Free version not available in Europe nor for Multi-Use or Servers).
Set Security Level to: High (Restricted, untrusted, untrustworthy)
Unfortunately you would have to enter entries individually into Restricted Sites: Tools, Options, internet, security (tab), Sites (button).
You should be able to paste entire table from here to notepad. Don't worry about columns, they will be included each column below the previous column. Then individually copy each item from notepad into the Restricted sites.
My hosts file had almost 11,000 entries. I think most were included via SpyBlocker. Unfortunately there was a downside to having so many entries -- it slowed down my system and took at least six minutes to boot up and seven and half minutes for dial-up all but about one minute was spent in authentication (Windows 2000) with the CPU at 100% so nothing else could be done in the meantime. Had 128MB RAM at the time.
*.adclick.com *.adforce.com *.adknowledge.com *.admaximize.com *.admonitor.net *.ads.cimedia.com *.ads.home.net *.ads1.zdnet.com *.ads2.zdnet.com *.ads3.zdnet.com *.ads4.zdnet.com *.adserver.monster.com *.adsmart.net *.adsoftware.com *.advertising.com *.affina.com *.ahoo.com *.ap-adcenter.net *.auerate-im.com *.bankads.com *.batchmates.com *.beseen.com *.bfast.com *.bnex.com *.burstnet.com *.centrport.net *.click2net.com *.clickagents.com *.commission-junction.com *.datais.com *.doubleclick.com *.doubleclick.net *.engage.com *.engageaudience.net *.enliven.com *.enliven.com *.eu-adcenter.net *.eu-adcenter.net *.flycast.com *.focalink.com *.free4all.com *.hitbox.com *.hyperbanner.net *.imgis.com *.link4ads.com *.linkexchange.com *.linksynergy.com *.livestat.com *.maximumpcads.com *.maximumpcads.net *.mediaplex.com *.mediasynergy.com *.narrowcastmedia.com *.networkedbanners.com *.ngadcenter.com *.preferences.com *.publicadvertising.com *.radiate.com *.sabela.com *.targetnet.com *.track4.com *.track-star.com *.utopiad.com *.valueclick.com *.webconnect.net *.webtrends.com *.webtrends.net *.webtrendslive.com *.worldbannerexchange.com *.x10.com ad.doubleclick.com ad.doubleclick.net ads*.cnet.com ads*.zdnet.com ads.microsoft.com geo.yahoo.com http://ad.doubleclick.net http://banners.primaryclick.com http://click.dealseveryday.com http://di.image.eshop.msn.com http://image.ugo.com http://www.kbAlertz.com http://www.megago.com http://www.netfix.com
If you have cookies enabled type the following into your URL address bar
Ever accidentally trust a site, in response to "do you want to trust ...", and now want to withdraw your trust, see WinXPnews(issue 51), or "trusted publisher" in HELP. Publisher Certificates
Somewhat near the end change - navigate sub-frames across different domains to “prompt”.
You can test your config at http://secunia.com/multiple_browsers_frame_injection_vulnerability_test/
Change any Active-X usage that shows up as accept to prompt.
PDF files: If you need to read a lot of PDF files, you need to read a lot of .PDF files then you will need to either “Run Active-X components and plug-ins” back to enable or use Mozilla Firebird instead.
Trusted sites shouldn't really have any, but unfortunately, you will probably have to include some just so you can do Microsoft updates. Also have secure banking sites not shown.http://msdn.microsoft.com https://login.passport.net http://login.passport.net
- Security Configuration
- Check that you have access to secure sites topic within 24 hour online site (Ireland).
- Macintosh: Accessing secure sites via Exporer
- Secure Web Connections, SSL Secure Sockets Layer.
- Google search: "internet explorer" "secure sites" proxy
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer V1.2.1 «
- Free Tools, Foundstone, Inc., several unique utilities for vulnerability assessments and protection used by its consultants. [LG 2003-11-18]
If you want to make sure that IE opens a link in a new window, hold the SHIFT key when pressing the link to start another instance of IE in a New Window (same as File, New). To control normal behavior (tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Browsing, "Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts".
IE and Explorer are frequently confused together.
(reserved for future notes)
The information for sorting Favorites and anything else with favorites has been moved to Favorites / Bookmarks
Keyboard Shortcuts table and information has been moved to it's own page, Internet Explorer keyboard shortcuts,and Right-Click Shortcuts.
Right-Click Menus Information and Right-Click Menu Additions has been moved to it's own page, Internet Explorer keyboard shortcuts, and Right-Click Shortcuts
File sizes can be found with added Right-Click menus (additions) "Get File Size" use before downloading, once on a site you can find the total size of web page and loaded graphics with "IEB Page: Show Images".
Access any program from the run command line (Start>Run or Windows key + r)? [LG 2003-11-05]
Web Accessories for Internet Explorer 5
The Google Toolbar provides an interface to the Google Search Engine, the Advanced Search features, and to the Groups Advanced Search [newsgroups]. For more information on Excel Newsgroups Seaching the Excel Newsgroups.
New in version 2.0
Google Toolbar (install), Google Toolbar Help Index
Please send your comments concerning this web page to: David McRitchie send email comments
Copyright © 1997 - 2004, F. David McRitchie, All Rights Reserved